Saturday, August 05, 2006

Swahill Maiden


Swahill Maiden Card Piece
Oil on Canvas
36" X 24"
$3200.
In Eastern and Central Africa Activist the record keepers charted major events and ceremonies as birth, entry into manhood or womanhood, weather, harvest and death. In most cases, the art read into and portrayed these events into representation of paintings and sculpture which were place onto buildings and houses, palaces or chieftain Kraals.
These lands are changing now and so is the art. Often it represents the bad times that were sad and since my departure, I seem to miss the good times. I never really paid much attention to these good memories yet they are the source of my inspiration.
Through my work I try to portray a people rich in color, culture and tradition. When I visit these lands I see fewer and fewer people donning traditional regalia or attending the
ceremonies.
I have always hoped that my work will keep events, pastimes and ceremonies of a people in transition to not forget where we were a derivative of the past. To give those who were born in a later time a glimpse into the lives of a people who had a way of life that is changing “A VANISHING AFRICA”. This exhibition is dedicated to this glimpse.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katya said...

I had the pleasure of seeing your work at Cornhill- I am deeply impressed by your dedication to depicting the beauty of African culture. I have just graduated from highschool and my senior thesis in AP Studio was a social commentary on human resilience to destruction with an emphasis on the genocide in Darfur. (my paintings are shown at www.westfallstudios.com if you are interested- though the sight is mostly my jewelry) My paintings depend on realism to evoke emotion and it is incredibly refreshing to see how much emotion and power your pieces cause the viewer to feel from abstraction, purity of color and bold brush strokes. I wanted you to know that your art has inspired me and, I am sure, others- I wish you the best of luck with your work!

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home